- 1/3 cup (80 ml) butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) sugar
- 12 oz. (340 g) blackberries
- 1 1/3 cups (320 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (240 ml) sugar
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) milk
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. (2.5 ml) salt
- 1 egg
- Heat oven to 350 °F (177 °C). Heat butter or margarine in a 9 inch round or 10 inch square (23/25 mm) pan in the oven until melted. Sprinkle 1/2 cup sugar evenly over melted butter. Spread blackberries evenly over the butter/sugar mixture.
- Beat remaining ingredients in a bowl with an electric mixer on low speed for 1/2 minute. Then, beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping the bowl sides often to mix all the ingredients. Pour the resulting batter over the berries.
- Bake about 50 minutes, until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. We didn’t turn the cake upside down until we served it.
The outer part of the crust was crunchy, which just made it better.