I accepted the Liebster award from The Novice Gardener back on August 27th (this is the punishment I get for commenting on her blog), so I guess it’s time to stop procrastinating and pay it forward. This award is a kind of pyramid scheme; you nominate ten bloggers (actually, the number has changed over the years), then each of them nominates ten more, etc. Quite a few logos have been used for the award as well; some are on the right.
The intent of the award seems to be to get bloggers to explore and promote other blogs. I’ve been a bit remiss about reading others’ blogs; although I follow some blogs, I rarely have the time to read their posts. Finding other bloggers to pass the award to was the most difficult part for me, especially as they’re supposed to have fewer than 200 followers and I had no idea of how to determine that.
- Tell me something about yourself that is not obvious from your blog. I’m actually a rather shy and introverted person in “real life”…
- Tell me more. …so, no.
- Which do you consider is your best post, the one you’re most proud of, the one you worked the hardest on, and you think it deserves more attention than it got. I will read it and tell you what I think. Well, actually there are a couple posts that proved more popular than I expected (Seed Leaves & True Leaves, and What’s that black mold inside my tomatoes?), each getting regular search engine hits, but that’s not what you’re asking. I don’t know if it’s the best, but I put a lot of work into Preparing a Garden Bed, explaining all about my choices for fertilizer, etc., and it’s pretty much been ignored.
- Can’t pick just one? Pick 2 more. OK, I’m pretty proud of Tomato Cages and I’m puzzled that no-one seems interested in Guest Garden. If there was interest, I might have posted more of these.
- A relative once said to my mother that I had a wild streak in me because I peppered my wall with Gauguin, unnecessarily worrying her. Can you all agree with me that he was crazy? YES. Now, if it was Van Gogh, that’d be another matter. 😉 That reminds me, I have a Gauguin print that I need to hang somewhere.
- Do you have any hidden talent that you haven’t shared with us? (Mine is making jewelry, believe it or not.) I have many hobbies, but whether I have a talent for any of them is questionable. I guess electronics — repairing, designing, building — is the obvious choice, though I haven’t done much recently (spending too much time blogging). I also like to assemble my own computers, such as the one I’m using to write this post.
- Tell me, who is more inspiring? Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr., or Mother Theresa, and why? King, as he seems to me to have been genuinely interested in helping others in spite of the danger to himself.
- Coffee or tea? Tea. I gave up coffee a few years ago.
- Red or white? I presume this is wine. Used to be red, now it could be either, but really I drink so little wine…
- Five Guys, In-n-Out, or Shake Shack? If neither, name your favorite burger joint. Well, Five Guys is the only one of the three that I’ve been to (once), so I guess they win by default. If I have to eat fast food, I’d rather have a sub.
Is it weird that I answered the questions in reverse order?
On to my nominees for the Liebster award. Some are about gardening, many have great photographs that I envy, and a few haven’t posted for a while; maybe a little well-deserved attention will get them posting again.
- A great tree
- Colorado green neck
- Shit You Didn’t Know About Biology
- Spork & Craic
- L. Weichert & Co.
- Aderyn Bach
- NZ Kitchen Garden
Here are the rules for the Liebster award if you choose to play along. The rules have changed over the years, so I don’t think anyone will mind if you scale back a bit on the numbers of nominees and questions.
1. Thank the person that nominated you and link back up to their blog.
2. Answer the 10 questions which are given to you by the nominator.
3. Nominate 10 other bloggers for this award who have less than 200 followers. (Hint: if you follow them, then open the WordPress reader and click on their blog, it will tell you how many followers they have.)
4. Create 10 questions for your nominees to answer.
5. Let the nominees know that they have been nominated by going to their blog and notifying them.
Here are my questions for those to whom I’m passing the Liebster award. Remember that “No,” “None,” and “Neither” are valid answers!
- What’s your favorite vegetable?
- Why did you start blogging?
- Which of your posts surprised you by being more popular than you expected? You can have more than one answer if you like.
- Tell me why you were surprised in #3.
- How has your blog become different from what you initially intended?
- Share a favorite recipe. Simple is OK!
- What’s an awesome but relatively unknown reason people should visit or live in your present or previous hometown?
- Where would you like to visit, but never have?
- The Beatles or the Rolling Stones?
- What’s your favorite book?
OK nominees, you can ignore this, or just thank me and move on, or accept the challenge and forward this
chain letter spam pyramid scheme award.
Note that I do not claim copyright on the Liebster award logos.