I had my daughter cut X-shaped holes in the landscape fabric, then I folded the flaps under, and dug an appropriately sized hole. I slid a plant label around the inside of the plastic pot, then slipped the plants out and placed them in the hole. If there were a lot of roots growing around the outside of the root ball, I tried to untangle them with my fingers.
After all the seedlings were in the ground, I watered them well with my usual mix of soluble fertilizer. The fertilizer provides nutrients while the plants are getting over the shock of having their roots disturbed and are establishing themselves in their new home.
If you look closely at the photo above (you can click on the photo to expand it), you can just see a marigold flower in front of the orange, plastic bags that were protecting the early tomatoes.
After watering the peppers and eggplant, I sprinkled some slug bait around them. In the past, some of my pepper plants were destroyed by slugs. Then, we moved the water jackets from the tomatoes to the newly transplanted seedlings and installed cages around the tomatoes.
The cages are tied to electric fence posts with orange twine to keep them in place. After the tomatoes grew up and out of the cages in past years, wind blew the whole structure over if the posts weren’t there.