The theme this year seems to be “better late than never.” On Sunday (June 8th), I finally transplanted the herb seedlings that I started on April 12th. I put them in three different places. The basil I transplanted into garden bed number three, where the peas and beans are growing. The ‘Italian large leaf’ and ‘lettuce leaf’ varieties were growing well, but the generic sweet basil seedlings were still small. That might be because there are so many, so I split the peat pot containing the sweet basil seedlings apart and planted the halves in two locations.
I put wire mesh cages around the basil to protect the seedlings; one year, all my basil was eaten soon after I transplanted it. I left some of the shiso and dill seedlings that were growing in that bed as there is sufficient space.
I transplanted the summer savory and marjoram ‘zaatar’ into the sloped flower bed where I grew basil last year. The basil did very well and I hope these herbs will too. There are some “volunteer” parsley plants growing there as well. My attempt to re-plant the herbs that didn’t germinate was largely unsuccessful; the additional marjoram seeds didn’t sprout, but a few parsley seeds did.
I transplanted the parsley and cilantro seedlings into garden bed number two. There are a lot of “volunteer” dill plants growing there; I had my daughter pull them in the areas where I wanted to put these herbs. The parsley is the ‘Italian flat leaf’ variety, and there are two types of cilantro, ‘large leaf’ and ‘calypso.’ Both are supposed to be slow to “bolt” (flower and produce seed) and thus should produce leaves for longer than other varieties.
I spent much of the weekend pruning. I pruned the blackberries like I did last year and pruned many of the ornamental shrubs in our yard. I should have pruned the blackberries much earlier (they are already blooming), but the ornamental plants should be pruned soon after they bloom, so my timing is good for those.
I also removed the water jackets from the peppers and eggplants. The weather is warm enough that they shouldn’t need this protection any more. I put commercial tomato cages around them to support the plants as they grow.
Last night, my daughter helped me plant okra. We planted the seeds directly into garden bed number two, to the left of the parsley and cilantro in the photo above. We planted five seeds in each of three holes. I’ll remove the bottoms from some plastic milk jugs and shove them into the dirt around the seeds to protect the seedlings from rabbits, or whatever ate them in the past.