On Saturday (May 30th), I decided to transplant okra into garden bed number three a few hours after I finished transplanting the peppers, eggplant, and marigolds. In the past two years, I’ve planted okra seeds directly into the garden rather than starting them indoors, but this year I decided to use okra as a test for the soil block molds and planted it on April 16th.
The okra grew well in their two inch sized soil blocks even though these are quite large plants. Some did send roots into adjacent soil blocks; I need to space the blocks a little more carefully in the future. All four seeds came up in one block (those plants are in the photo), three in another, and only one in the last. I doubt if that’s the fault of the soil block system. I probably should have planted just one seed per block, but space under the grow light is always at a premium.
After transplanting the seedlings, I placed the larger size of commercial tomato cages around them to help them grow straight. I watered the seedlings using 18-24-16 water soluble fertilizer as usual. I didn’t put milk jugs around the okra to protect it this year as I already built a fence around this garden bed to keep the rabbits out.
You can see one group of cilantro I planted at the rear of the photo, and some “volunteer” shiso and dill plants too. I should remove the maple seeds before those sprout.